Time for the next adventure

Posted on August 30, 2011

After an incredible journey with RIM, I have resigned as Senior Director, Global Developer Relations today.

As the mobile space continues to change so quickly and this seems like a great time to step back and consider my next steps.  If you wonder what I mean about the changing mobile landscape, just look at what has happened in the last two weeks – Motorola was acquired by Google, HP shut down webOS and Steve Jobs resigned as CEO from Apple.

Over my 10 year career I have worked with so many amazing individuals both inside RIM and in our broader developer community. This is a great company with leaders I respect and admire.  It has been an honour to share in the success and growth of such an extraordinary company.

The opportunity to work in Developer Relations has been one that I will never forget.  To be exposed to so many great ideas and the people behind them has been inspiring.  To manage the variety of challenges each and every day has been something which helped me grow personally.

I will be sharing my thoughts on the industry on this blog and on Twitter (@mikekirkup) and look forward to hearing from you.

23 Replies to "Time for the next adventure"

• Jigar Budhdev
    August 30, 2011 (3:50 pm)

Hey Mike,

Just heard the news.. Wishing you all the best in your future endeavors.. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

Kind regards,

Jigar
    +971502122055

• akirekadu
    August 30, 2011 (3:58 pm)

Wish you the very best for your next adventure!

• Simon Sage
    August 30, 2011 (4:29 pm)

Mike, it’s been a real pleasure seeing you at trade shows over the last few years. From my end, working with RIM from here on in isn’t going to be the same without you around. Hopefully you won’t be falling off the face of the wireless world, so please do keep in touch.

• ekke
    August 30, 2011 (4:33 pm)

Hi Mike,
    last year was my first BlackBerry DevCon I attended and this year I’m there as a Speaker.
    In a very short timeframe I was able to develop great applications for BlackBerry smartphones – it’s a great platform. All the time I enjoyed your work, because you understand what’s important for Developers.
    So I hope with all the great things I’m expecting to come up for RIM next months that your work will be continued with the same mind.
    Wish you the best and thanks again.
    ekke

• Mark Ruddock
    August 30, 2011 (4:42 pm)

Mike, sorry to see you move on from RIM. In my opinion, the organization has lost one if its rising stars.

During my time at Viigo, you were an invaluable resource for us … helpful … articulate … tireless … enthusiastic … and always responsive.

I wish you well in whatever the future holds. Do stay in touch, I’d love to work with you again.

• Sethai
    August 30, 2011 (5:32 pm)

Good luck on the new path and have a great time with your family :)

• Mike Kirkup renuncia como Director Global de Relación con Desarrolladores de RIM. | BlackBerry Quick Tips
    August 30, 2011 (5:38 pm)

[…] Mike lo ha dicho con sus propias palabras; “Es tiempo para una nueva aventura” y nosotros le deseamos lo mejor en ella.  Si quieres leer su publicación entra a este enlace. […]

• Jon Webb
    August 30, 2011 (7:36 pm)

Good luck Mike. Sad to see you go!

• Drew Lane
    August 30, 2011 (9:21 pm)

Ahhh, the end of an era. :-)

Seems like good timing to me.

Best wishes Mike!

• Tom Slee
    August 30, 2011 (9:31 pm)

Best of luck in your next endeavour. As RIM grew and grew, it was quite something to see how you kept in touch with developers despite all the other demands you must have had on your time. You will be tough to replace.

• joel
    August 30, 2011 (10:11 pm)

I hope you continue in the wireless industry. I appreciate your insights.

• Joe Jerde
    August 30, 2011 (11:31 pm)

Mike, I have to say that I got a little emotional when I heard the news today. Over the years you have been the positive side of RIM that Balsillie and Lazaridis couldn’t portrait in the same manner to all of us BlackBerry fans. Definitely won’t be the same without you. Best wishes from all of us at BlackBerryOS.com.

– Joe

• Shaheen Georgee
    August 30, 2011 (11:32 pm)

Hey Mike, sad to see you go, you are an asset to both RIM and BB developers. I wish you all the best in your next endeavor!

Hope to see you around — maybe you’ll still make it out ot DevCon?

Regards,
    Shaheen

• K Lu
    August 31, 2011 (4:15 am)

Mike, thank you for your support and all the best!

• Marco Foellmer
    August 31, 2011 (4:28 pm)

Mike, thank you very much for your support. Good luck for the next adventure.

Cheers Marco

• Josep Maria
    August 31, 2011 (5:23 pm)

Mike,

a pleasure to meet you and hoping to see you in a future.
    Good luck and I am sure you will have a great future.

All the best!!

Josep Maria

• David Yorke
    August 31, 2011 (6:19 pm)

Hi Mike,
    I’m saddened to learn of another RIM’r finding the room to grow elsewhere outweighs the growth internally. If this is not because of the recent troubles at RIM, then you certainly have a brighter future on the outside. From the first moment you saw our app, as well as the huge growth potential in our business opportunities, you were supportive, and backed all my initiatives within the RIM executive team. I wish you well on the next phase of this journey, no doubt it will be exciting and rewarding at the same time. Too bad the the remaining RIM’rs can not make some major changes within what’s left of the diminshing HR’s.
    Good luck, and let the world know where you land…feet up-right.
    david

• Peter Werry
    September 1, 2011 (1:30 pm)

Mike you’ve been an absolute pleasure to work with. You were directly responsible for many personal and corporate successes.

Looking forward to seeing what the future brings :)

• Dave Burrows
    September 2, 2011 (9:46 am)

It’s been a great experience working with you, and your team. Always enthusiastic and inspiring. Good luck with whatever’s next. Whatever it is, I’m sure it will be great…

• Jeff Thau
    September 2, 2011 (12:11 pm)

Mike,
    Over the years that I worked with RIM, you were always a source for information, innovation and support.
    I know that where ever you are going next, you will have a great future and solid impact.
    Good luck and safe travels.
    Jeff

• Sergio Vallejo - ACTIN - México
    September 2, 2011 (2:06 pm)

It was great working with you! best wishes and hope to contact in the near future.

• David Yorke
    September 18, 2011 (9:02 pm)

i’ll miss you at SFO after DevCon, you always encouraged me to go higher!

• Robert Kao
    September 29, 2011 (4:35 pm)

Mike,

Enjoy the time off! From my Lehman days, you were there with me and Dante from the start.

Best of luck on your next adventure!

Robert Kao